Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The glimmers

In fiction, it seems so simple.  Sure, doing good and fighting evil is a struggle, and yet it's clear what must be done.  In my life, there are no dragons to be slain.  In my life, there are groceries to buy, food to prepare, dishes to wash, laundry to do, a job to go to, bills to pay, humans to try to get along with, questions to ponder about what to do with myself.  These things are hard.  For me it is hard at times to go to the kitchen, get food, and heat it up in the microwave.  To do the basic simple tasks of survival is like walking through clay.  How do I find may way when there are no heroic tasks beckoning?

I think though, that I can seek the path.  I see glimmers now and then.  Glimmers that say, "This is the way" or "This is not the way."  It's clear to me that staying home by myself trying to figure it all out is not the way.  It's clear to me there's something in going out amongst people, being part of a community, listening to others, trying to understand others, trying to be kind to others.

It's clear to me that there are two things which look alike, but one is bad and one is good.  They both look like being accommodating to other people.  It's bad when it bends me.  It's bad when I feel under the yoke, carrying out what I don't believe in.  It's good when it grows me.  When I stretch my senses to see through the eyes of others.  When I stretch my courage to help others.  Sometimes it's a fine line between the good and the bad, but I can see it, I can see the color of the glimmers.  I don't know where the path is taking me, but I know which glimmers to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment