Thursday, February 14, 2013

Drunk on singing

One autumn evening, we took a hay ride through field and forest to a bonfire.  We gathered round the bonfire singing.  Then the bonfire was over, the singing was over, and we were riding back on the hay wagon to get to the parked cars.  But my friend and I were still singing.  Drunk on singing, we forgot to worry that the time for singing was over.  We forgot to worry that neither of us had any particular ability to carry a tune.   

It was a moment that enriched my life.  A moment I still remember 15 years later.  I don't regret it.

He always called me up, wanting to go places with me.  It wasn't for me, it was for my car.  He got a car, and he got a girlfriend, both around the same time.  Then he had no further use for me, so he wanted nothing to do with me.  You could say he was wrong, to use me.  But, I got something out of it.  There was singing, there was doing the cha-cha, there was hiking, there was skiing, there was going to the ocean.  I knew he was just passing through my life until something better came along.  I made my choice.  I chose to sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment