Sunday, February 24, 2013

Darkness

A lot of the people I like have something -- chronic illness, chronic pain, unemployment, underemployment, a tendency to burst into tears at inopportune moments, strange phobias, a wounded heart from an abusive childhood.  What I see in these people is that such things do not detract in any way from who they are, from their intelligence, humor, wisdom, and kindness.

That's an inspiration to me, because it says maybe I can be an okay person too, even with my stuff.

But the difference is, these people are open about their darknesses.  I think that in keeping my darkness in tight reserve, I also clamp down on joy, playfulness, and kindness.

It would be nice to open myself up.  But, I think it's dangerous.  I would be undiplomatic.


No comments:

Post a Comment