Monday, February 4, 2013

Girl Scout cookies and the Economics of Happiness

Someone where I work sent out an email saying his daughters are selling Girl Scout cookies, and that he has the order form in his office, so stop by if we want to order them.  His email contains a link to a web site about the various varieties of cookies.  When I followed that link, this is what I read:

"Each box a girl sells provides her with a lesson in people skills. She's meeting new customers, making eye contact, talking about the cookies, and saying thanks. And that builds her confidence, which she needs for success."

No, if we order by going to the father's office, and never see the girls, none of the above is happening.

When I was a Girl Scout, I always felt like I was inferior because I sold very few cookies. The other girls had parents who sold cookies for them at work.  I did not.

As an adult, still I find myself unable to get help from others.

Last night, some people were talking about a film called The Econocmics of Happiness.  They said that one of the points the film made was that a key ingredient of happiness is feeling that someone has your back.  They said that sometimes people stay in romantic relationships they don't want to be in, just because they want that feeling of someone has your back.

Maybe the real lesson girls learn from selling Girl Scout cookies is that it pays to get people to help you.  Maybe getting people to help me is what I failed to learn as a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment