Monday, June 18, 2012

What to do with people

Some people take the attitude, "I want to go to a movie, but I can't because I have no one to go with," or "I want to go to a concert, but I can't because I have no one to go with." I'm the opposite. I think, "I like Person X. What social event can I concoct so that we can spend some time together?" If I go to a movie or concert, I almost always go alone. The friends I've had never really had the same taste in music or movies as I do, because that's not the basis on which I select friends. If I go to a movie or concert, I do it on the spur of the moment, when my current level of energy/interest demands it. It's too much trouble to make plans in advance with other people, because then you end up having to do things that you don't fit what you end up feeling like at that particular time.

Most of the time, I don't go to concerts and movies. That's another thing that doesn't make for much of a social life. The things that I like doing with other people are having a conversation, going for a walk, or doing household activities like mowing the lawn, writing Christmas cards, hanging pictures on the wall, or going grocery shopping. At the radio station one day, a DJ had a lot of records to file, so I helped. Filing records together was fun. It's not like every time I'm with a person, I want them to say, "Oh, do my chores for me, you like that sort of thing." And it's not like every time I'm getting groceries, I'm thinking, "This would be so much more fun with company." It's that doing the right activity with the right person (and different people are right for different activities) is fun in and of itself, and even when the activity is an ordinary one.

No comments:

Post a Comment