Friday, June 8, 2012

June sunset

When I'm sick, I can't imagine wanting to do anything other than lie down.

Then I start to get better, and I start planning adventures.  I'm not quite ready to do things, but I've reached the point where I'm well enough that adventures appeal to me.

Then I get even better, and I'm able to enjoy the present moment.

Two days ago, I was dreaming of trips to take.

Today, I was happy where I am.

We've come to that time of year when it's warm enough to sit outside.

We've come to that time of year when the world is full of green leaves.

I could sit there forever gazing at the green leaves.

As sunset comes, the sky takes on an orange glow.

The trails of the jets take on an orange glow.

They look beautiful, but when I think about it, I'm not glad to have jets in my sky.

What did this place look like to my ancestors 300 years ago?

No jets in the sky.

No city lights to outshine the starlight.

What were the forests like?

What were my ancestors thinking, 300 years ago?

I know enough of family history to know I had ancestors on this continent 300 years ago, but not enough to know anything of who they were.

Knowledge of who my ancestors were as people only goes back about 150 years.

Lives lived 300 years ago, now forgotten.

As we live, love, give birth, lose our loved ones, it all seems so important.

But 300 years later, there is no one who knows what it was like.

The stars in the sky do not know my name.

On the scale of centuries, on the scale of the universe, my life is a speck of dust.

But I am here now, in this life.

To me, this life is big, this life is all there is.

I choose to dance, to sing, to love.

I choose to long for something better.

I choose to read about the lives of those who have gone before me

I choose to write my thoughts for those who come after me.

I choose to gaze at the orange glow of sunset.

Green leaves flutter in the breeze.

In this moment, my life is perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment