Sunday, June 24, 2012

That's their problem, not mine

This morning on National Public Radio, David Greene interviewed Christine Quinn. He asked her about whether she saw any conflict between being Catholic and being gay. When he said, "Your church obviously doesn't officially accept that," she replied, "That's kind of their problem, not mine."

When he asked, "Do you ever wake up and think 'I need to leave this church, I need to leave this faith'?" she replied, "No. Wait, how can you leave a faith? A faith is who you are. It's what's inside of you. It's how you see the world. It's what inspires you. It's what comforts you. It's what uplifts you in the dark days. So you can't leave a faith. A faith is who you are. It's what you have. Why should I leave the church? It's my church. They're the ones who have the wrong perspective."

I like her approach. I need to remember, if people don't treat me the way I'd like, if they don't respond to me the way I'd like, that's their problem, not mine. I can keep on being who I want to be. Well, sometimes I can't be who I want to be, but always I can be who I am. Always there's nothing I can be except who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment