Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Beauty around us

In the blog post "Working with the Three Realms," Bob Patrick writes that after a friend wrote “looking inward you become despondent. Looking around you become disillusioned. Looking up you become devoted," he composed the following in response:

Looking inward I become still.
Looking around I become connected.
Looking up I become awed.

This reminds of the song "Now I Walk in Beauty" recorded by Janice Marsh-Prelesnik.  The song says:

Now I walk in beauty
Beauty is before me
Beauty is behind me
Above and below me

When I google these words, I find that they seem to be a variation of a Navajo chant.  Similar words can be found at http://www.care2.com/greenliving/beauty-chant.html and  http://nmai.si.edu/education/codetalkers/html/chapter5.html.

Similarly, in "Morning Song," Daniel Dutton says

Sun I pray
Let my life begin today
I promise
I will go with beauty round me

I am also reminded of the AODA's Sphere of Protection ritual.

All four of these -- Bob Patrick's words about looking inward, around, and up, the Navajo chant about beauty, Daniel Dutton's Morning Song, and the Sphere of Protection ritual -- are about a serene connectedness to the universe.  It seems to me that this serene connectedness is an essential part of both pantheism and druidry.

No comments:

Post a Comment