Monday, July 23, 2012

Credibility

A friend read in the newspaper that the best Mexican food in the area was made by a woman who does not have a restaurant, who only sells at farmer's markets.  Now he is eager to try her food.

A few years ago, I told him about the woman who sells Mexican food at the farmer's market.  I said he would probably like her food.  He scoffed at me.  He said, "It's probably Americanized, not real Mexican food."

When I reminded him of that, he said, "Well, I didn't know." 

Yeah, well, I told you.  So how can you say you didn't know? Because you assume that what I tell you has no credibility.  But when someone else tells you, then you assume it's true.

My stepfather is the same way.  When my mother tells him something, he doesn't believe it.  But when he hears the same thing from someone else, then he assumes it is true. 

It's my job to tell the truth. It's not my job to make other people believe the truth.  I say it, and they can take it or leave it.  But when people consistently choose to leave it, just because I'm the source of it, then I will leave them.

No comments:

Post a Comment