Monday, September 17, 2012

Introverts and Extraverts

There's someone I haven't worked with that long who does not seem to have caught on that I'm competent.  I figure sometimes extraverts are a little slow to catch on to the fact that introverts can be capable, confident, intelligent, alert, and strongwilled.  I figure she'll realize in time what I'm capable of.

I commented about this to a relative, who fervently agreed with my comment about extraverts being slow to catch on to introverts' abilities.  She then went on to tell me about a man in her church named Bob.  At meetings, she often chose to sit next to Bob because he radiated calm, while other people would chatter on about what they had for lunch.  One day, when Bob was not there, the pastor made a comment about serving on a committee with Bob.  He said, "I never thought someone so quiet would be so full of ideas."

I figure we introverted people may also be slow to catch on to extraverts.  We may be inclined to think that because they are always chattering about nonsense, they must not be able to perceive what is going on with the people around them, and must not be capable of deeper thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment