Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Stand by my values

They asked him what his favorite was, and he said, "I don't believe in favorites."

Driving, they asked him, "Do I got right or left here?"  He said, "Either."  They said, "But which way should I go?!" He said, "It doesn't matter.  Either will get you there."

He did not believe in picking one thing, when there was another that was just as good.

He did not take a stand for something unless he truly believed in it.

They saw that in him, and they loved him as he was.  Sometimes they were exasperated, but they loved him.
They also loved his enthusiasm -- for roller coasters, basketball, roller derby, and sweets.  They did not have the same enthusiasm, but they loved his enthusiasm.

It's okay to be me.  The people at my job don't share my values at all.  They don't get the way I am.  But it's okay to be who you are.

When I refuse to choose between two options, they get exasperated.  They think I'm being wishy-washy, but I'm not.  I'm being very firm in my opinion that I can't choose one over the other.

People think it's weird and illogical that I don't believe in sales, coupons, or gambling.  But I don't.  I think a person selling something should have the goal of provide a high quality product or service, and a person buying something should have the goal of providing fair compensation for the seller.  Whenever I feel like either side is trying to squeeze more pennies for themselves, I feel like I don't wan to be a part of that transaction.  Unfortunately, sometimes it's hard to find an alternative.

But that view of financial transactions is one of my values.  Also, I don't want to watch TV or movies or listen to pop music or drink alcohol or play video games or ride on airplanes.  People think this is silly.  The things I want to refrain from are things that everyone does with no ill effects.

My brother stood by his values.  My great grandfather stood by his values.  I can stand by my values.  I can be a druid.

No comments:

Post a Comment