Saturday, February 7, 2015

Another chance to sleep

I got up too early.  Woke up early, couldn't get back to sleep, finally gave up and got up.  Probably I was too hungry.  Maybe I should have had more supper last night.  Maybe when I woke up early, I should have just eaten something filling and gone back to bed. 

What happened this time is what often happens -- I know I won't be able to get back to sleep until I eat, but I want to hurry up and go back to sleep, so I eat as little as I think I can get away with.  Often it isn't enough to allow me to sleep.

And so today I was sleep deprived, had trouble getting things done.

Well, okay, I always have trouble getting things done.

But today I attributed it to not getting enough sleep. 

A part of me condemns myself.  A part of me says being tired today is my punishment for not sleeping properly.  That part tends to either lecture myself that I had better shape up next time, or else just escape and give up.

That's not the druid way.  In my previous post about ethical principles, the first thing it says is, "Every action has a consequence."  So, if I don't get enough sleep, the consequence is I'm tired.  It's simple cause and effect.  Maybe tonight I will get enough sleep, and feel better tomorrow.  It's not about being punished for my wrong behavior.  It's just cause and effect.  Every day, I can choose my actions, and every day, I reap the consequences of those choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment