Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Books

I overheard someone today say something about a book.  It sounded as if there was a book she was wanting to get from the library, was excited about getting.  It seemed like it was a nonfiction book.  It reminded me that I'm eagerly awaiting two nonfiction books from inter-library loan.  In preparation for my trip to Florida, I requested The Trees of Florida and National Audubon Society Field Guide to Florida.

It made me think about what books are.  Books are a place where we record our knowledge, ideas, flights of fancy, or points of view.   When we read a book, we engage with another person's mind.  It connects us to other times, other cultures.  It expands our view of the world beyond our own first-hand experience.

There are a wealth of books out there.  Some are based on ignorance or hate.  We choose what to read.  We choose which author's minds we want to engage with.

No comments:

Post a Comment