Saturday, November 3, 2012

Deathbed priorities

After writing my previous post "Taste the Joy" based on a response to something written by Tom Hartmann, I moved on in my internet browsing to Christine Hartmann, and found something that related to what I had just written about.  In Prioritizing from your deathbed, she writes that one way to decide about what to do is to think about how you will feel about it on your deathbed.  One thing I like about this approach is that it encompasses both the immediate indulgences and the long-term planning.

On my deathbed, I will regret staying at this stupid job for so long, wasting these years of my life.  In my free time, mostly I dance, listen to music, spend time outdoors, spend time with family and friends, write emails and blogs, read, and compile photos.  Those are my passions, those are what I really want to do.  When I'm on my deathbed, I want to look back at a life spent doing those things.  But I also want to look back on a life that didn't involve so many years at this stupid job, so I need to also spend time on the difficult and unpleasant task of digging out my escape route.

No comments:

Post a Comment