Wednesday, August 6, 2014

The decline of do-it-yourself

The trend these days is that cars don't come with spare tires.  It's because if you get a flat, you call for road service.

Just one more way that our culture is moving toward buying everything you need instead of creating things you need yourself.

The transition movement counters this.  I like the transition movement philosophically.

But putting it in practice is another matter.  Exhausted from work, I'd rather buy prepared food than prepare food myself.  When I first got a car, I took a car repair class.  I wanted to at know how to put in coolant if the coolant was low, things like that.  But over time, I've gotten less and less interested in being able to do it myself.  It's hard, and I have not time and energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment