Friday, November 15, 2013

Economic justice

There is something wrong when the workers at McDonald's make so little money that they are eligible for food stamps, while the CEO of McDonald's makes millions.

I buy fair trade coffee from a cashier who gets no vacation time, no sick time, no health insurance, and no retirement plan.  Buying fair trade coffee isn't enough.

I have money in a so called socially responsible fund, which means they don't invest in the military or tobacco.  If you look at the list of where they do invest in, it's stuff I don't want to support. 
 
Our system of capitalism is designed to benefit the shareholders.  I don't want it. I want to purchase things in a system where a producer's focus is serving the customer, and a customer's focus is paying a fair price.  I like the farmer's market.  But there are a lot of things that can't be bought at the farmer's market.

No comments:

Post a Comment