Saturday, August 3, 2013

How to help people

How do you help people?

Plan A

  1. Explain to them what they should do to fix their problems.
  2. Explain to them that they should not be upset but instead should be grateful for all that they have.
Plan B
  1. Listen.
  2. Enjoy their company.
  3. Ask how you can help.
  4. Offer to do tasks  that burden them.
  5. Appreciate what they have to offer.

Based on they way people behave, it seems that most people think that Plan A is the correct way to help people. I would prefer that people would follow Plan B.  To me, Plan A should be titled not "How to Help" but "How to Hurt."  However, when you try to explain to people that you prefer not to be on the receiving end of Plan A, they become indignant and outraged, saying, "I was only trying to help."  If I don't appreciate being on the receiving end of Plan A, they view me as ungrateful.  

No comments:

Post a Comment