Thursday, October 11, 2012

Burden or temptation

I was talking to someone last night who said that she doesn't really know how to use Facebook or do anything on the computer. She said she doesn't need computers for her job. She feels she should learn, but after a long day at work, she doesn't want to be using the computer. It's not joyful. She'd rather be sewing, knitting, and cooking. To me, sewing, knitting and cooking are burdensome chores that I never get around to. To me, when I get home from a long day at work, what I most want to be doing is to be on the computer -- catching up on Facebook, writing emails, writing blogs, and working with my digital photos. Those are the temptations, the things I try to resist doing, because I really ought to be doing other chores. It's eye-opening sometimes to see another person's perspective, to realize that my temptation is someone else's burden, while their temptation is my burden. And so, maybe I shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the things that call me as temptations. Maybe they are worth doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment