Sunday, August 1, 2010

Connecting earth and air

As part of my druid path, I've been practicing the Sphere of Protection ritual. In so doing, I've noticed a lack of connection between earth and air. That is, I have lots of ideas of things to do flying around in my head, but they lack connection with the realities of my energy and time. Having noticed this, I've tried to connect them better. In summer, I always think about going to outdoor concerts, going to county fairs, going kayaking, going to Maine, and visiting my family. But the reality is, I don't have to do all those things to be happy. The reality is, if I did all those things, I would be tired and my house would be a mess and my laundry wouldn't be done. The reality is, those things are not necessary for happiness. I can find happiness sitting on my balcony in the evening, listening to the crickets, and watching the leaves move in the wind.

On the other hand, I do find I great deal of joy in the more adventurous things I've listed. My paternal grandmother once made a comment that when you look back on your life, you'll be glad of the adventures you had, and you won't care so much whether or not you kept your floors clean.

I don't want to spend all the time that I'm not at work doing chores. But I would like to put some time into making my home into the kind of environment that I like to be in, and I would like to live at a slow enough pace that I have some peace of mind and am not constantly pushing myself beyond my energy level.

No comments:

Post a Comment