Saturday, March 14, 2015

Books

Yesterday I took my first vacation day of 2015.  I had been wearing thin for a long time, wanting to take time off, but there was too much to do at work.  Finally I managed to get away.  I had in mind chores to do, but I did not do any.  I did read two novels, Poison by Bridget Zinn and Fever Crumb by Philip Reeve.  Both were engaging.  I did not want to put them down, and I wanted to go on to read sequels.  Fever Crumb was not quite my kind of book.  It was dystopian and steampunk, which is what people like nowadays, but that's a younger generation that likes them.  They aren't my thing.  Poison was more like my kind of book.  I do think it's a little too pat, the way everything works out the way it should.

Last weekend, I was reading Exile's Honor, Exile's Valour, and Take A Thief by Mercedes Lackey.  I'd say they are less pat.  They do end with the solving of the main conflict of each book, but it's not like everything gets wrapped up.  Alberich is suspicious of Lord Orthallen over all three books, but does not find grounds for his suspicion over the three books.  Alberich develops a romantic interest, but it's not like a stereotypical book, where they proclaim their love and live happily ever after.  Instead, their slow getting to know each other and growing closer is just part of the fabric of life, one of many things going on.

Anyway, even though Poison was a little too pat, I wanted to read more by the same author.  Unfortunately, this was her only book.  She died before it was published. 

No comments:

Post a Comment