Thursday, October 2, 2014

Still searching

Vacation day.  Certain things I am supposed to get done today.  Haven't done them yet, half past noon.  Been reading What Should I Do With My Life.  They had an apartment for writers, not to live in, but to work in, so they would have an office to go to, and could be with other writers.  The book talked about the importance of being around people who are interested in what you are interested in.

Also, I read an article on LinkedIn about how people in their 40s settle at their job, just collect their paycheck, but it's not really what they want to do.  They don't develop their skills or their network.  Then they get laid off in their 50s and can't find a job.

It seems like I just apply for jobs here and there, but I'm not rooted.  I need to find what I want.  I need to build a community.  I need to build my skills.  I need to find ways to do that both in my job and outside of my job.  I need to weed out of my life the things that don't contribute to that.  I don't mean things that don't contribute to career development. I mean things that don't contribute to me growing into who I am.

But at the same time, I think sometimes I use this kind of thinking as an excuse to not apply for jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment