Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Precious moments

My sister is visiting me for four days. Today we walked at the canal for about an hour and a half, and then hung out in a grassy spot by the river for about two and a half hours. While we hung out in the grassy spot, I frolicked about -- dancing, rolling in the grass, adopting various goofy poses. It has been a long time since I felt that way, felt that joy and silliness flow freely through me. I often visit the canal and the river, but usually in solitude. There is a certain vivacity that emerges only when in the presence of others.

Then we went home and had supper. I was worn out from the day's adventures, but my sister was not. As I lay resting in the living room, she washed dishes in the kitchen. I could hear her singing to herself, happily and un-self-consciously. She sang "On Top of Spaghetti," a capoeira song in Portuguese, and something about a bear with honey on his paws.

As I listened, I felt so blessed to have my home filled by her joyful presence. These are the moments that make life precious.

No comments:

Post a Comment