Saturday, May 21, 2011

Daughter

Some people struggle to overcome childhood traumas, but I was very fortunate in my upbringing. When I look at myself through my parents' eyes, I see myself as who I want to be, as my best, true self. My values grew from the examples set by my parents, so when I think of my parents, I am brought back to my values -- reminded that it's not important how I look, or what people think of me, and that what matters is kindness, integrity, simplicity, and living close to the earth. I don't have children of my own, but when I think of those who are the closest to being my children -- the siblings born when I was in my teens and 20's, and my nephew -- I realize that the way I feel about them, wanting them to thrive and live the path that's right for them, is how my parents feel about me. Thus, when I imagine seeing myself through my parents' eyes, my tangled doubts dwindle, I stop trying to be who I'm not, and I realize it's okay to be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment