Saturday, January 8, 2011

Druids as members of the intellectual caste

I think I got about 16 Christmas presents, of which about 8 were from my dad. Among the things he got me were two books about the history of druids. So far, I am partway through one of them, A Brief History of the Druids by Peter Berresford Ellis. One of the things this book says is that the Druids were the intellectual caste of the Celts, comparable to the Brahmins as the intellectual caste of the Hindus. (The book notes many similarities between the Celts and Hindus, indicating these peoples had common origins.)

Druidry means different things to different people, but I think that this is an important part of my own personal path. To me, Druids should collect and pass on knowledge and wisdom. If Druids are members of the intellectual caste, then the Druids of today are the teachers, librarians, and historians.

No comments:

Post a Comment