Monday, May 3, 2010

Library fines

When I take out library books, if I am not going to return them by the due date, I can renew them online. Sometimes I forget, and renew them online a few days after the due date. As a result, I end up owing small amounts in fines.

A few days ago, I checked out a book from the library. When the woman checking out my book scanned my library card, the information that popped up on her computer told me I owed a fine. She said, "I see you owe 20 cents. Would you like to pay any part of that now?"

It seems rather silly to think that I might need an installment plan to pay a 20 cent fine. But I like that. I like that they are open to adapting to the payment schedule that fits the customer's needs. That's the kind of organization which inspires me to willingly give them money. In contrast, when I feel that a company has no interest in serving me, but just wants to squeeze money out of me any way it can, I will not give that company my business.

No comments:

Post a Comment