Monday, March 31, 2008

Chronic fatigue t-shirt

Cafepress sells t-shirts, sweatshirts, posters, etc. related to chronic fatigue syndrome and other illnesses. The one I'm going to buy says

Warning!!! Things NOT to say to someone with a disabling chronic illness:
...but you don't look sick
...everybody gets tired
...you're just having a bad day
...it must be nice not having to go to work
...I wish I had time to take a nap
...if you'd get out more
...you're just getting older
...if you'd get more exercise
...it can't be that bad
...it's all in your head
...you're just depressed
...there are people worse off than you
...you'll just have to tough it out
...you just need a more positive attitude
...this, too, shall pass
(I wouldn't wish what I have on anyone but unless you get it, you just don't get it.)

I'd like to get this message out not just for myself, but because I think there are many people who have been hurt by such comments, and if I can educate a few people about what not to say, then maybe some people will get hurt a little less often.

No comments:

Post a Comment